open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Orito pictures the human mind as a loom that weaves disparate threads of belief, memory, and narrative into an entity whose common name is Self, and which sometimes calls itself Perception. David Mitchell (The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet)
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Hugo 2010 Awards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

MT in Austin
Posted 2010-09-10 7:43 AM (#2167)
Subject: Hugo 2010 Awards

There was a tie for the Hugo this year (2010):
The City & The City by China Miville
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

I've read The Windup Girl and it was an amazing book. Haven't read the Mieville book yet.
I did, however read one of the other nominations, Boneshaker by Cherrie Priest. I enjoyed it much more than Windup Girl.
I know action packed books tend to get discounted when awards comes around but, for pure excitement and entertainment, Boneshaker was one of the best books I've read in a while.
It would be way cool if someone like Katsuhiro Otomo, Hayao Miyazaki or Mamoru Oshii optioned it for an animated film. I doubt a live action film of the book could be made with a manageable budget and at a profit.

If you haven't read it yet. Check Boneshaker out.
The audiobook is also really good with Wil Wheaton reading Zeke's chapters and Kate Reading doing Blair's.

I can't wait until Dreadnaught is released later this month.

Edited by MT in Austin 2010-09-10 7:44 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-09-28 1:12 PM (#2171 - in reply to #2167)
Subject: RE: Hugo 2010 Awards

Admin

MT.

Chris was very enthusiastic in his reaview of Boneshaker too in case anyone missed it.  I seem to be mired in older books these days.  I'm going to have to change my reading habits to make sure I get some modern books into the rotation.

By the way, I'll add Dreadnaught to the DB this week. Will we be seeing a review from you on that one?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)